AlphaStreet

social investing for the rest of us.

Lead Product Designer / Creative Director
Responsive Web App & iOS Mobile App
Branding, UI/UX Design, Prototyping, Front-End Dev
Sketch 3, Zeplin.io, Principle, Photoshop, Illustrator

Full-time contractor/employee
May 2015 - Feb 2017

 

 

AlphaStreet set out to create a social media site for anyone who wants to invest in the stock market. It had to be welcoming for new users, but powerful enough for advanced users. The goal was to reduce the learning curve though good design and a social network of experts and novices alike.

Timeline.

Over the course of a couple years I took a set of ideas and features and systematically grew them into a version 1.0 that everyone was ecstactic about.

Initial design & Features

When I came aboard, the team had been working for a couple years developing the idea and creating a featureset. Developers had been building an initial proof of concept around a basic bootstrap template and much of the interface was not thoughougly flushed out. It was my task to completely overhaul the UI and visual style of the web application.

Branding & Design Language

At the point AlphaStreet was at when I came on board, it was clear they needed a design language built from scratch including new branding. Over the course of 6 months I worked with the key stakeholders to find a signature look that suited them. Shown above is three of the 100's of logos created to find the right brand image, with the bottom being the final selection (and my personal favorite).

Minimum Viable product

While I was developing branding and design, I was also considering how it all would work within the application. My key goal was to display the vast amount of information associated with trading stocks in an organized and unintimidating fashion. Features had to be organized in a proper hierarchial format and interactions had to be smooth and precise.

version 1.0

By the time we were wrapping up the MVP I had already started building our 1.0. I learned quite a lot from that first pass and realized there was still a significant amount of room to improve. Navigation was more thoroughly thought out, colors were tweaked a bit, and a 'golden layout' was implemented with specific uses for each area.

 

Mobile.

After completing version 1.0,  we decided to focus out efforts on a mobile app for iOS. Much of the visual style was already solid at this point, but much had to be considered for the user experience on smaller devices.

 

 

Prototyping.

Experimenting with prototyping was key to making a lot of data fit in a small space. Here we see an interaction I created to allow users to quickly swipe between quarterly financial sheets.  There were three types of documents and up to 5 years of financial data for each.

 

 

 

 

More coming soon...